Going Green is not just a trend. It’s a priority for all of us if we want to continue to live on a beautiful, life-giving planet. Thinking of ways of going green, however, is not always easy. Just because we buy organic food and recycle doesn’t necessarily mean we’re making much of a practical impact. We need to have a whole plan for Going Green. One element in that plan should be buying eco-friendly products or Solano Canyon. But how do we find eco-friendly products? Well, one way is to buy products made from renewable resources.
Buying products made from renewable resources should be a priority for each of us when going green. These types of eco-friendly products insure that we don’t use earth’s resources too quickly. We need to let our planet replenish it’s natural resources at the same rate as we are consuming them.
So, what are good eco-friendly products– products made from renewable resources?
Here’s a list of 10 types of products made from renewable resources:
1. Paper products- while these should be used sparingly, they are better than plastic in that they are biodegradable and come from renewable trees
2. Cotton products
3. Spudware- biodegradable cutlery made from potatoes, corn, and soy oils
4. Solar energy- solar panels on your house, solar battery chargers, etc.
5. Bio-based tableware- for example, plates and bowls made by Earthshell
6. Bamboo products- bamboo furniture, bamboo cotton clothes, etc. (a good alternative to other tree products, as bamboo is highly renewable because of it’s fast rate of growth)
7. Digital products- Highly reproducible, long-lasting, only needing the support of electricity
8. Wind energy- support wind energy development in your city, county, and state; consider getting electricity from wind power at your home.
9. Bio-based fuels- while not always the most sustainable option, they are renewable
10. Plant-based cleaners- great products made from renewable resources to help you in going green and healthier for your body
Here are 5 products not made from renewable resources that should be avoided:
1. Plastics- while renewable plastics are being researched, currently plastics are made from petroleum a non-renewable resource
2. Many paper cups and plates- while the paper is renewable, the plastic coating is from petroleum and makes the product take about 500 years to biodegrade
3. Wood in furniture or other products from old-growth rainforests- while these are technically renewable, the amount of carbon released into the environment and the incredibly slow rate at which they replenish themselves makes them for all practical purposes non-renewable and definitely not eco-friendly products.
4. Energy from oil and coal- gasoline products and coal-based energy are highly non-renewable; unfortunately, much of our electricity currently comes from coal. Consider the switch to solar or wind energy in your home as your first big step in going green.
So continue on the path to going green by changing your purchasing habits. Decide to buy products made from renewable resources.
House Cleaning With Eco-Friendly Products and Solano Canyon
Eco friendly products are taking the market by storm as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) continues to increase awareness regarding the effects of using toxic cleaners and materials. Volatable Organic Compounds also called VOCs are solvent composites which get released into the air under normal temperature conditions. The liquid evaporates into gas form without any additional temperature or environmental change. Their low boiling point makes it easy for many molecules to enter the air as evaporation occurs. Paint is a good example because the formaldehyde slowly evaporates while it is sitting idle. VOCs are very dangerous to people, animals, and the environment. They can be found either in natural or man-made compounds. Use of these substitutes in doors is regulated because the release concentration is higher. Long term health conditions can develop from extended exposure. Skin, eye, or throat irritations are the short term signs of inhalation. Eco friendly solvents labeled low-VOC or no-VOC are a safer alternative to many of the standard cleaning solutions used today by businesses.
Industrial Solvents : Choosing a Safe and Functional Cleaner
Industrial solvents have evolved to include options with high performance capabilities but reduced negative effects. Paints, strippers, cleaners, pesticides, and adhesives are examples of VOC emitting products. Most emit at least a small amount into the air when used and stored. Pollutant levels may remain in the air for an extended period of time after usage. Industrial facilities are a setting where compound release can be very high. Automotive, aeronautic, and military environments consistently use degreasers or cleaners. The EPA provides specific regulations regarding types of chemicals including restrictions on certain organic solvents. Eco-friendly alternatives make it easier for a business to meet guidelines and still obtain needed performance.
Finding a replacement for high VOC industrial solvents should be the first step a business takes to increase safety in the workplace. This step forward also creates a better green image for a business. Reduced costs are a direct result of limited compound release and minimal hazard clean up. A business can take other measures to reduce VOC release as well. Ventilation should always meet if not exceed the solvent recommendations. Store containers appropriatively, ensure workers handle them as specified, and dispose of all used solvent according to requirements. Organic compounds are most dangerous in an enclosed environment. The EPA estimates indoor concentrations to average one thousand times more than measured outdoors.
Testing of eco friendly solvents occurs prior to the inclusion of color additives. These also emit organic compounds and can increase the amount released into the air from each solvent. This is important to keep in mind when selecting an alternative cleaner for business or home use. Water-based solvents have lower VOC levels and green products do not add additional compounds to the air during use. An industrial facility in most scenarios can not use water-based products due to the nature of the cleaning. They are utilized to clean parts that are susceptible to corrosion or rusting when exposed to water. These environments must use a chemical based solution that may be replaced with a lower VOC product.
Five Unusual Eco-friendly Products
Eco-friendly living is taking a new turn. We have the ecofriendly clothing, eco office supplies and organic food but there are some products out there that you wouldn't think could be green. It's great to see so many people stretching the idea of green living to other areas of life. Here is a list of the top 5 things you wouldn't think could be eco-friendly.
1) Eco-friendly textile coffins: Who knew that eco-friendly living could be utilized even when you're not living. There is a new trend emerging and it is green coffins. Many of the eco coffins out there are made from recycled newspaper and recycled silk and mulberry leaves. Some are even made of extra thick corrugated board or cardboard. These cardboard and recycled paper coffins are good for the environment and are just as functional as traditional coffins. Eco-friendly coffins are a great way to make your last green impression.
2) Eco-friendly fireworks: With the fourth of July behind us those that are big firework fans are preparing for next years celebration or really any occasion to set off some fireworks. Traditional fireworks are fun and exciting but can harm the environment. Scientist are trying to come up with more earth friendly fireworks that wouldn't produce as much smoke and toxins as traditional fireworks do. There's no telling when these fireworks will be on the market but you can expect that they will be more expensive than traditional fireworks. Look out for these environmentally friendly fireworks!
3) Eco-friendly pizza box: Looking to enjoy a delicious pizza anytime soon? There is a new pizza box out there that is made from completely recycled and recyclable corrugated cardboard. The manufacturer of the eco pizza box not only produced the box from recyclable good but also made it more eco-friendly by allowing the consumer to make plates from the box. The top of the eco-box can be made into four individual serving plates so there is no extra need for paper or plastic plates. The bottom portion of the pizza box can then be folded over to store leftover pizza in any refrigerator.
4) Eco NBC studio: That's right there is an eco-friendly NBC studio. With Jimmy Fallon taking the stage as NBC's "Late Night" host, he has requested everything in the studio be green. He wants everything to be earth friendly so they will be using recycled metal and all green lighting. This will be the first eco television studio that will be completely green. This will sure bring him more support from earth conscious viewers.
5) Green bathrooms: The Habana Outpost is Brooklyn, New York is the first ecofriendly eatery in its area. Not only is their food delicious and affordable they also have an eco-friendly bathroom that is worth mentioning. Their eco-friendly bathroom is a greenhouse style bathroom that has a sink and toilet rainwater recycling system. This bathroom saves an average of 40,000 gallons of water a week! This environmentally friendly bathroom doubles as a functioning green house, so next time your in Brooklyn, NY be sure to stop by this bathroom.
Solano Canyon Pet Friendly Carpet Cleaning