Going Green is not just a trend. It’s a priority for all of us if we want to continue to live on a beautiful, life-giving planet. Thinking of ways of going green, however, is not always easy. Just because we buy organic food and recycle doesn’t necessarily mean we’re making much of a practical impact. We need to have a whole plan for Going Green. One element in that plan should be buying eco-friendly products or Mount Olympus. But how do we find eco-friendly products? Well, one way is to buy products made from renewable resources.
Buying products made from renewable resources should be a priority for each of us when going green. These types of eco-friendly products insure that we don’t use earth’s resources too quickly. We need to let our planet replenish it’s natural resources at the same rate as we are consuming them.
So, what are good eco-friendly products– products made from renewable resources?
Here’s a list of 10 types of products made from renewable resources:
1. Paper products- while these should be used sparingly, they are better than plastic in that they are biodegradable and come from renewable trees
2. Cotton products
3. Spudware- biodegradable cutlery made from potatoes, corn, and soy oils
4. Solar energy- solar panels on your house, solar battery chargers, etc.
5. Bio-based tableware- for example, plates and bowls made by Earthshell
6. Bamboo products- bamboo furniture, bamboo cotton clothes, etc. (a good alternative to other tree products, as bamboo is highly renewable because of it’s fast rate of growth)
7. Digital products- Highly reproducible, long-lasting, only needing the support of electricity
8. Wind energy- support wind energy development in your city, county, and state; consider getting electricity from wind power at your home.
9. Bio-based fuels- while not always the most sustainable option, they are renewable
10. Plant-based cleaners- great products made from renewable resources to help you in going green and healthier for your body
Here are 5 products not made from renewable resources that should be avoided:
1. Plastics- while renewable plastics are being researched, currently plastics are made from petroleum a non-renewable resource
2. Many paper cups and plates- while the paper is renewable, the plastic coating is from petroleum and makes the product take about 500 years to biodegrade
3. Wood in furniture or other products from old-growth rainforests- while these are technically renewable, the amount of carbon released into the environment and the incredibly slow rate at which they replenish themselves makes them for all practical purposes non-renewable and definitely not eco-friendly products.
4. Energy from oil and coal- gasoline products and coal-based energy are highly non-renewable; unfortunately, much of our electricity currently comes from coal. Consider the switch to solar or wind energy in your home as your first big step in going green.
So continue on the path to going green by changing your purchasing habits. Decide to buy products made from renewable resources.
House Cleaning With Eco-Friendly Products and Mount Olympus
In the last few years people have become much more ecologically concerned, including how they care for their lawns. Eco-friendly lawn care products have become very popular as a result. Not only are they safer for pets and children, these products offer less chance of causing water or air pollution. Considering the number of lawns both personal and business properties have, this can make a big difference in the amount of pollution being added to the planet.
Eco-friendly lawn care products are those that are created from natural ingredients as opposed to chemical ones. Many people hesitated to use these products because they could not see how their small lawns could make a difference in our ecology. Recent studies have helped to show just how much of a difference even one property owner can make. It is becoming more clear that all possible steps to reduce pollution are necessary.
If nothing else, switching to eco-friendly lawn care products can make it safer for your pets and children to play on the lawn. In the long term, it is even more beneficial. Many chemical pesticides that are used on lawns leech into the water systems, and can be harmful or fatal to birds that feed on the insects. Eco-friendly lawn care products pose none of these risks. They are just as effective with much less risk involved in their use.
There are eco-friendly lawn care products that can take the place of all chemical-based lawn products and they are reasonably priced. Some chemical-based products can be replaced by simple changes in your lawn care routine without the need for a product of any kind. As an example of this, consider chemical herbicides or weed killers. It is possible to remove most or all weeds just by leaving your grass at least 3 inches long and overseeding your yard in the fall.
If you have pest problems in your lawn you can find eco-friendly products like Grub-Away® Nematodes that naturally kill off most of the normal lawn pests without any danger to your pets or children. For the home gardener this is an even more effective product because it combats almost every kind of garden pest as well as those that affect your lawn. It completely removes the necessity of using chemical-based pesticides that can be harmful to your family as well as to the environment.
Even the big brand name manufacturers of lawn care products have seen the trend to change over to eco-friendly products and have begun to produce their own lines of eco-friendly products. This can be seen as proof that many people are becoming more concerned about the environment. Big manufacturers do not waste their time making products or changing their product line unless they are sure there is a market for the product. It is time to seriously consider changing over to eco-friendly lawn products if you have not already done so. They are readily available, reasonably priced, and safer for you and your family.
Help Clean Our Environment by Using Eco-Friendly Baby Products and Organic Baby Accessories
What makes eco furniture eco-friendly? It seems every furniture company is now touting their furniture as green, earth-friendly or sustainable but what does that really mean? How does a consumer make intelligent and conscientious choices when shopping for green furniture?
Here's a list of the Top Five Questions to ask your furniture salesperson to see if their wood furniture is indeed eco-friendly:
- Is the furniture made of all natural solid wood? Are any components of the furniture made with plywood or particle board? Solid wood furniture will endure, often for generations, whereas particle board furniture will likely be out on the curbside in 5 years or less.
- Where did the wood in my furniture originate? Was it grown in a sustainably managed forest, or was it harvested perhaps illegally in third world countries where the world's rainforests are rapidly disappearing? Local woods that tend to be sustainably harvested in the USA include cherry, maple, oak and walnut. If you're looking at furniture made out of tropical and/or exotic woods, like mahogany, teak or rosewood however, chances are quite good that they were illegally harvested from endangered rainforest habitats and brought to the USA with counterfeit documentation. Check with the furniture seller to be sure they know where the wood came from and whether or not it is certified as being sustainably harvested.
- Is the furniture free of toxic chemicals, dyes, stains, glues, formaldehydes, finishes and resins? This is not only an indoor air health issue, but an environmental issue as well. Look for natural solid wood furniture, with natural, non-toxic finishes and adhesives that do not off-gas. At a minimum, smell your furniture before buying it!
- Is the furniture made in the USA? American made furniture is built to higher standards than most imports which are produced cheaply in sweatshops in China and VietNam. And since you are closer to US manufacturers, you have a much better chance of getting them to resolve any potential problems, should they arise down the road.
- Is the furniture backed by a lifetime guarantee? You thought nothing was backed by a lifetime guarantee these days, didn't you? Believe it or not, many small furniture makers build their wood furniture to last a lifetime and they happily back it with a lifetime guarantee. It's a valuable feature that could save you many thousands of dollars in replacement costs over the years.
Asking a few questions about the nature of the eco friendly furniture you're purchasing will help you select truly sustainable items that will not jeopardize your family's health and will be heirlooms you'll be proud to own and enjoy for many years. Isn't it worth the asking a few questions?
Mount Olympus Safe Solutions Carpet Cleaning